Change

Installed a McLeod adj master cylinder and a new slave cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical How To / Write Ups' started by yee28, May 3, 2011.

1. yee28 SCCA Delta Region / Donator

Message Count:
    My clutch pedal was sticking to the floor after holding the clutch pedal in so I changed the slave and master cylinder for the clutch. I decided to upgrade to the Mcleod adj master cylinder. After looking at all the old parts after the swapping out the new parts. It was the slave cylinder leaking. But it would have pissed me off to no end if i changed only the slave cylinder then have the pedal sticking b/c master is now leaking past the seals.

I followed most of these instructions.

http://www.installuniversity.com/in...ages/sophomore_year/drill_master_cylinder.htm

slave cylinder come with and with out bleeder screws, get one with a bleeder screw. Also pre-bleed the master or you will have air bubbles to no end. I still have air coming out of mine but the clutch works and the air is coming up to the reservoir.

Here are some notes i've added.

It was a major pain in the ass to install. I took out the driver seat and put a shipping blanket on the seat studs to lay on.

#5 pull the bracket and bend it to access the star washer in #6
    #8 there is No heat shield like in fig 7 for an LT1 Camaro. But there is a smaller heat shield for the brake lines that i removed to help twist the cyllinder out and install the new one.
    #9 remove the slave cylinder with 2 13mm bolts.
    #12 I drain the clutch fluid reservoir because i could not remove it as a unit.
    #23 i removed the rod end to get a better angle to install the new master. You may also want to take out the studs from the master to help with getting the right angle to install the new unit.
    #26 test fit your rod end to the clutch pedal. I hand to grind mine to get the e-clip back on.

Good Luck
  2. themealonwheels Member

Message Count:
    Glad to hear you got it done, how's it feel? If it makes you feel any better, your second MC will be ridiculously easy. I installed a McLeod and spent a couple hours doing it the way they install it in your link. After I broke my McLeod on the first attempt (no joke, not a happy customer), I installed a Tick in about 30 min due to the bolt configuration and somehow easier body design. Have fun with it!
  3. yee28 SCCA Delta Region / Donator

Message Count:
    The Clutch pedal is alot firmer now.

Yeah i found out about the Tick unit after I ordered mine. The Tick unit looks easier to install b/c it's not as long. But here are pic of the Mcleod unit. The master cylinder is made by wilwood unit.

[IMG] [IMG]